Gas Explosion Kills One and Injures Two In “Ogun”
Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun
Tragedy struck on Monday in Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, as one person was feared killed, while two others were seriously injured in a gas explosion.
Our correspondent gathered that the incident happened around 8am along Folagbade Road in Ijebu-Ode.
According to an eyewitness, the explosion was caused by a gas cylinder belonging to one of the passengers in the tricycle.
The witness explained that the tricycle rider, who was conveying three occupants, parked by the roadside when the owner of the cylinder discovered that the gas was leaking.
He said the tricycle was parked near a faulty car with a radiator problem.
According to the witness, who did not identify himself, the leaking cylinder was being fixed by the owner when there was an explosion triggered by the heat from the car.
The source disclosed that the accident involved three people.
“The owner of the cylinder just refilled it with gas and unknown to her, the cylinder was leaking.
“The heat generated by the car triggered the explosion,” he added.
He noted that the victims, who suffered third degree burns, were rushed to the Ijebu-Ode General Hospital, but the hospital refused to treat them and they were taken to an unknown hospital.
The Public Relations Officer of the State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps, Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi, confirmed the accident.
Akinbiyi said the tricycle, three motorcycles and one Honda SUV were burnt.
According to him, the occupants of the tricycle also suffered severe burnt injuries and were taken to a hospital for treatment.
Akinbiyi, however, said he could not ascertain if anyone died in the incident.